Recently there is a boom of websites selling interesting interior decorations catering to the “Hipster” subculture. This subculture is still evolving and ever changing. However, according to Urban Dictionary, Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. Although “hipsterism” is really a state of mind, it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. The “effortless cool” urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities. Consequently many hipsters tend to have jobs in the music, art, and fashion industries.
Hipster interior decoration websites/blogs are:
• Caviar 20
• Restoration Hardware
• Hipster Home
Hipster online clothing & shoes stores consist of:
• Nasty Gal
• Pixie Market
• Urban Outfitters
If after visiting these sites, the desire to become even more hipster is still there then here are some interior decoration tips to make anyone a true hipster.
practical the better. For example, a clock without numbers or a clock that is not in a shape of a circle.
2. Find a letter in the alphabet and just hang it on the wall – Random letters with cool texture just screams creativity. You can also get a bunch of vintage frames or mirrors and do some sort of DIY like spray painting it gold and just collage them together. The more random and diverse the frames are the more hipster looking it will become.
3. Brick wall something. Brick wall indoors is just so rebellious and…. wait for it…. so hipster. In this case there is a column in the middle of the room that is made out of brick. Feel free to grab a hammer and beat it up a little bit. Remember, old stuff screams hipster.
4. Print a bunch of Tumblr or Instagram photos preferably pictures of rocks, eyes and sun set. Turn them black and white and hung them on a cloth line.
5. Bicycle is… a form of transportation? Sorry, that is no longer true. To hipster, they are wall decor.
6. Having a closet is sooo mainstream. Being a hipster is all about displaying your clothes on a clothing rack – makes it easier to put together outfits.
7. Macbook on the floor.
8. Homemade rug or looks like homemade rug.
9. Magazines about bands no one has ever heard of stack together on the floor as decoration.
10. Vintage camera – it does not have to actually be able to take pictures
11. Technology that looks old such as a typewriter, but it is actually an Ipad dock.
12. Overpriced tumbler cups everywhere
13. Last, but not least… Vintage big frame glasses – HIP…S…TER – with a mustache necklace will be even better.
Chalk label all your mason jars
Use Interesting book shelves.
Happy hipstering up your live 🙂